Saturday, May 10, 2014

Visiting the youngest country in Europe


When we booked this cruise, I didn't even know Montenegro was an independent country. Today I learned it declared independence in 2006, I hope I remembered the correct year! That makes it the youngest country in Europe, so far anyway.......

The city of Kotor is up at the end of Tivatski Bay, and,the ship goes along fiords to get there! We got up at 5:45 am to watch the whole 2 hour journey in the fjord to get to Kotor. It really reminded me of our last cruise to Norway. Beautiful scenery and gorgeous churches, much warmer than Norway though. We are the same sort of climate as Northern Spain here! Which means it was in the 70's or higher today, hot and sunny all day!

The coast of this area is unspoiled and still feels as if modern times have not made much of an intrusion. I am afraid, though, it is just a matter of time before things change.

Alan and I took an open top bus along the shore to see some other villages. One had Roman mosaics, another had a fire station and a delightful looking place over the water for snacks. We couldn't stop though because we had to get back to Kotor.

Kotor is another walled city that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, like Dubrovnik. The difference to me is Kotor looks and feels lived in and used. In a good way, not so cosmetically perfect as Dubrovnik. Kotor is more compact too, with loads and loads of churches! Both cities are amazing and I am so glad they are protected.


Ventura is too big to dock at Kotor, so we were tendered in. This is a fun way to leave the ship, but you have to be careful not to miss the last tender at the end of the day!

Long day, early night - Corfu is tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment