Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tortoise Time!





The only onshore excursion I was really excited about (before we left Scotland!) was on the last day, on Corsica. They have a tortoise protection centre with over 170 species of tortoises. A colleague of mine had also done this and highly recommended it, so when it was advertised as something to do with children - I didn't worry! And it was very special. Very different from World Heritage Sites or classical Roman structures. Both Alan and I loved it!


The second part of this excursion was to visit Porticcio Beach. Well anyone including a beach stop to me gets extra points, except for today. Don't get me wrong, the beach is beautiful and the sand is interesting. Coarse and obviously very finely ground rocks.


I loved the feel of this between my toes, and also dipped the same toes into the (very cold) water! Then that was it! A few shops, nothing else to do but drink a local beer made from chestnuts, and very good, and wait for it to be time to leave. Even a beach loving Florida girl like myself could have given this whole thing a miss!




We were concerned about losing a precious hour in Ajaccio (the birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte).

Once we got back to Ajaccio, we were not enamoured with it either. Walked around a bit, got a coffee and free wifi at a coffee shop, then boarded the ship.




What does this disappointment tell me? Probably time to go home, we have had too many fantastic experiences and are possibly becoming jaded. Time to go home and make my own bed and wash my own dishes!

But before going home, we did enjoy the Great British Sail Away from Corsica!  Both P&O and Princess Cruises do these and they are a very unique experience!  But I took a few pictures to try to share the feeling of this -

We were very lucky with the weather for the sail away, a storm came up shortly after it was finished and we were sailing away.  This was the roughest sea we had for the whole cruise, and the requisite sick bags were placed conveniently all over the ship!  It was difficult for the passengers to walk but we still all filed into the Arena to watch the very talented Headliners do their final show.  It seemed a bit odd that the show did not start at the time planned.  This had never happened before.  Ten minutes went by, then the Director of Entertainment came onstage to announce that the show would be further delayed by 5 - 10 minutes due to some of the dancers feeling unwell.  I had expected him to say due to the danger of dancing on a flying stage!  But once they came out, they performed without a trace of illness or unsteadiness.  They are so talented and I loved watching all their shows!  Here is a taste of one of their shows: 


I am home now and enjoying using my proper laptop. Never again will I travel with my iPad, it just does not work well with this blogger program!

No comments:

Post a Comment