Saturday, May 3, 2014

Livorno part 2



My main goal in Livorno was to get an authentic local dish, probably pizza. After wandering the town in the wake of other shipmates, I almost gave up the idea though and turned to go back to the ship. But outside the Pizzeria La Dolce Vita, I noticed the most interesting item of food and was drawn in. Turns out it was just a sandwich. (I have since learned it was focaccia bread). I have no actual name for it and that frustrates me because it deserves a proper name. The bread was the size and shape of a of a pizza, with a variety of ingredients then another "slice of bread". Cut into quarters then the servings appear to be the equivalent of two "slices". My filling was tomato, mushrooms and zucchini (courgettes).

These were probably gently cooked in a bit of olive oil before being placed In the bread and warmed in the oven. Fantastico!
Oh, they had wifi too! So I sat for awhile before making my second attempt to return to the ship.


2 comments:

  1. About ten or twelve years ago a family opened an Italian restaurant in our little hamlet. It reminds me of what they, and another little restaurant called an Italian roll. A sandwich. Similar to a calzone. We take what we can get here so not a lot of focaccia bread. I little specialty provider delivered some to Walmart a while back. Makes a good sandwich. In the summer here there are lots of tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, onions and garlic. I like to put those things together with olive oil and basil. Have fun. It looks great. Have you seen the Pope hanging out anywhere. He really does seem to have been strongly influenced by St. Francis but is a much better administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen the Pope yet. But Rome will happen next week!

    ReplyDelete